In an aerial view from the twenties, when Wiborg’s original 600 acres had been whittled down to a mere 80. The property’s boundaries are marked in white.
(1.) Olga Wiborg’s house
Sara’s sister Olga first lived here; later, Lee Radziwill bought the property. It now belongs to financier Thomas H. Lee.
(2.) Little Hut
The only house the Murphys built from the ground up, it was completed in 1959. A Fernand Léger hung in the living room alongside Gerald’s collection of old wooden farm tools. It’s now owned by the Hill family.
(3.) Beach Path
Gerald took this path to Wiborg Beach to do his daily laps.
(4.) The Maidstone Club
The clubhouse pictured, which still stands today, was built in 1922. It replaced the club’s first headquarters, which had been much farther inland but burned down.
(5.) The Dunes
Once the largest house in the Hamptons, it was torn down in 1941 when the Murphys couldn’t rent or sell it.
(6.) The Tower
Used for the estate’s laundry, it was destroyed in the 1938 hurricane. Its foundation became the patio of the Pink House, right.
(7.) The Pink House
The Murphys’ daughter, Honoria, renovated the servants’ quarters and painted the stucco exterior pink (now faded to a pastel). It is now owned by her three children: Laura, John, and Sherman Donnelly.
(8.) The Last Acre
The Murphy heirs sold a single acre plot to the Peconic Land Trust a few years ago, “with the intention of eliminating building rights,” says Laura Donnelly. It was then sold to Maidstone, which incorporated it into the golf course.
(9.) Sunken Gardens
The three Wiborg sisters rode their horses in the fields surrounding the extensive gardens that were modeled on Italian designs.
(10.) Hook Pond
(11.) Swan Cove
Gerald and Sara converted the Wiborg estate’s dairy barn into their summer house. It now belongs to the DeLiagre family.