Eliot Spitzer isn't even governor yet, but the cleanup of Albany is already under way. Devoted readers of Daily Intel may remember learning the specifics of member items — constituent-pleasing pet projects that state lawmakers get to finance with a total of $85 million in play dough. The biggest outrage reported then was that Assembly speaker Sheldon Silver's slate of aid recipients skewed ever so slightly Jewy. Well, apparently, for State Senator Efrain Gonzalez, the definition of "pet projects" hewed even closer to home: He's been indicted for allegedly using state funds to pay for two residences in the Dominican Republic and — in a truly delightful touch — his cigar bills. For those keeping score, this is the seventh indictment among the city's Albany delegation in the last three years, and the third in the last six months.
- 1. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 2. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 3. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 4. How Rich Do These Magazine Editors Think We Are?
- 5. All the Snubs and Surprises From the 2014 Golden Globe Nominations
- 6. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- 7. Guy Doing Sign Language at Mandela Memorial Was Actually Just Waving His Arms Around
- 8. Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 9. The 2014 Golden Globe Nominations Are Here!