Think there are no affordable one-bedrooms in downtown Manhattan? Think again. At $299,000, this apartment at 153 1/2 Stanton Street might be the single most affordable downtown one-bedroom on the market. It's no dump, either, nor is it tucked into the farthest possible downtown corner. (In fact, it's a quick walk to the F train and near a restaurant-rife part of the neighborhood, just down the block from Stanton Social and AK Cafe.) Yes, the apartment's narrow, and it's actually a junior one-bedroom (meaning a wall was put up). Also, there's a flip tax, so you have to part with some of the net profit if you sell within eight years, says listing broker Tracie Hamersley of Citi-Habitats. But the maintenance is low — less than $1 per square foot — and a storage locker is included. The building is even open to pets. Also, you just need 10 percent down. Plus, you won't have to worry about bidding against more moneyed competitors: Only a single buyer or a couple making no more than $48,000 can apply (it’s an "income-restricted" HDFC co-op). Teachers, day-care workers, starving artists, dancers, actors — get your bids in. —S. Jhoanna Robledo
- 1. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 2. Netflix Adultery Afflicts Half of Relationships, Says Netflix
- 3. In Touch’s ‘Kanye Is Gay’ Story Is Awful
- 4. Could Harvey Weinstein Make History With Three Black Best Actor Oscar Candidates?
- 5. Gay Man Fatally Shot in Greenwich Village in Alleged Hate Crime
- 6. Kim Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament
- 7. Take Vulture’s Arrested Development Superfan Quiz
- 8. Cannes Day 3: Marion Cotillard, Eva Longoria, and an Extraordinary Dress Made of Biscuit Trays
- 9. Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!