Wayne Barrett, the professional anti-Giuliani, has a piece in this week’s Village Voice considering what might have made America’s Mayor’s daughter, Caroline, grow up to be a Barack Obama supporter. Some fun details of life at home with the Giulianis:
1. Rudy brought Caroline to City Hall on Take Your Daughters to Work Day in 1994 and 1995, his first two years as mayor, but never again — because by 1996 “the relationship between Giuliani and his twentysomething press secretary had so poisoned the marriage that all such family events were impossible.”
2. The Giulianis went on a family vacation after he was elected in 1993 — and then never did again.
3. On Father’s Day 1995, Giuliani told reporters he was going to play baseball with his son — and instead went to a basement suite at City Hall with his “ever-present” press secretary.
4. Neither his wife nor his kids went to Rudy’s victory party when he was reelected in 1997.
5. The kids aren’t listed in Giuliani’s bio on his Web page.
6. He skipped his son’s high-school graduation.
7. He went to Caroline’s but left without speaking to her. “I am celebrating with my mom, my stepfather, my brother, and our other family members,” she said then.
Yeah, we’d be supporting someone else for president, too.