If you needed an obscure bill passed by the governor, yesterday was your lucky day. David Paterson, bravely forging on despite what must have been a crippling writer’s cramp, signed a whopping 137 bills into existence, including ones that do the following:
• Ban smoking in all college and university dorms (we thought already happened, but it didn’t).
• Allow a slot parlor to open in the Catskills.
• Allow wine tastings to start at 10 a.m.
• Increase fines for those who fail to pick up dog shit.
• Increase fines for those who “block the box.”
• Allow museums to take possession of art or material loaned to them that has not been reclaimed by the owner.
• Permit ice cream to be made with wine, even though that’s gross.
• Make the penalty for plastic knuckles as harsh as the penalty for brass knuckles.
Yeah. That’s right. Who’s getting stuff done now?