Yesterday, Patricia Duff, the ex-wife of Ron Perelman, announced that she'll be representing herself in court in their revived custody battle over their daughter, Caleigh, who is charging that her mother abused her. On the one hand, Duff's decision is understandable: Her divorce from Ron Perelman reportedly cost $5.2 million in legal fees. On the other hand, it's completely insane. Isn't representing yourself in court the provenance of serial killers and Law & Order characters? Also: Duff, who despite a background in politics does not have a law degree, has already hit a snag. The Daily News reports that when she attempted to file papers in court yesterday, she was rebuffed by the judge for not paying a $45 filing fee. "Ms. Duff, it's not me personally, but the court does require filing fees," the judge said. We can't wait until they're in court and Duff is all, "actus non facit reum nisi mens sit rea, okay?" This is going to be so much better than the Christie Brinkley divorce case.
- 1. Beyoncé Just Dropped an Album With No Warning
- 2. How Rich Do These Magazine Editors Think We Are?
- 3. Jody Rosen’s Snap Judgments on Beyoncé’s Surprise New Album
- 4. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 5. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 6. Kate Middleton "Dares" to Wear a Dress Three Times
- 7. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- 8. The Heritage Uncertainty Principle
- 9. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special