Hannah Upp, the 23-year-old teacher who was reported missing by her friends and family over Labor Day weekend, was rescued a couple of hours ago by a group of Staten Island ferry workers who spotted her in the water of New York’s Upper Bay. She had apparently jumped off a pier into the water. “She was almost completely incapacitated when they pulled her out,” a spokesman for the Transportation Department told the Times. "She was not responsive.” Upp has been transferred to a Richmond University Medical Center, where she has since stabilized. It's a dramatic end to a dramatic story, which began when Upp's friends reported that the Bryn Mawr graduate had disappeared, leaving her wallet and keys behind. After she was spotted several times in the midtown Apple store, officials postulated that she was depressed about her job at Thurgood Marshall Middle School in Harlem, or that she had run off with the freegans, a group of foraging vegetarians.
Photo: Getty Images
- 1. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 2. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 3. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 4. How Rich Do These Magazine Editors Think We Are?
- 5. All the Snubs and Surprises From the 2014 Golden Globe Nominations
- 6. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- 7. Guy Doing Sign Language at Mandela Memorial Was Actually Just Waving His Arms Around
- 8. Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 9. The 2014 Golden Globe Nominations Are Here!