Back in 2000, the Alaska State Legislature was shocked to learn that some police agencies were making rape victims pay for their own rape kits, which elsewhere are usually (read: pretty much always) charged to the government. The law they quickly passed forbidding the practice was "aimed in part at Wasilla," whose police chief, an opponent of the new law, was appointed by Mayor Sarah Palin. A fun little fact for the Democrats if they choose to wade into the thorny issue: Joe Biden was a sponsor of the 2005 Senate bill requiring states to foot the bill for rape exams. Barack Obama was one of 58 co-sponsors; John McCain wasn't. [USAT]
- 1. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 2. American Horror Story’s Taissa Farmiga on Threesomes, Zombies, and Paris Hilton’s Closet
- 3. 12 Years a Slave and the Obama Era
- 4. What’s New on Netflix Streaming This Month: December 2013
- 5. Gilmore Girls Alumni: Where Are They Now?
- 6. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 7. A Thorough List of All the Times Peeta Messes Up in Catching Fire
- 8. Mexican Gunmen Who Stole Truck Will ‘Without a Doubt’ Die From Radiation
- 9. Who Knows What Men Want on OkCupid — Men or Women?