Well, it looks like our annual Office Party Patrol is just going to be a little less fun this week. Turns out the belt-tightening at Hearst hasn't stopped with the closing of CosmoGirl. Now comes word that plans for the company-wide holiday party are shelved. For years, Hearst treated staffers to a lavish catered affair at Tavern on the Green. But with the magazine business on the skids, Hearst cut costs last season by celebrating in the atrium of its new Norman Foster–designed tower (one staffer griped about food running out). Now even an in-house party seems excessive during the economic meltdown. A spokesperson says she hopes "employees will understand our recent decision to forgo a company-wide holiday party this year." Nobody else do this! As un-fun as most company events are, they're still necessary. How else would you know that Bruce in security does such a mean Tina Turner on karaoke?
Photo: Getty Images
- 1. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 2. Mad Men Recap: You’re Pretentious, You Know That?
- 3. Kate Middleton Still Acting Like a Total Commoner
- 4. The Beauty School for Former Sex Slaves
- 5. This Is What a Two-Mile-Wide Tornado Did to Moore, Oklahoma [Updated]
- 6. Patrick Stewart Rescued a Baby Bird in Park Slope
- 7. The Era of Private Space Travel Is Just Beginning
- 8. Game of Thrones’ Sophie Turner on Sansa’s Wedding Day and Drunk Tyrion
- 9. Cannes Day Six: Selita Ebanks, Zoe Saldana, and Alec Baldwin’s Pregnant Wife