Matthew Broderick plays the voice of the title character in Universal's animated Despereaux, an adorable mouse with teacup ears. But in real life, creatures of the rodent persuasion kind of freak the actor out a little. Especially the sneaky, agile kind that populate the West Village where he lives. "We had a mouse problem," Broderick told us at the movie's Saturday premiere. "I was once watching TV, and one crawled straight up a curtain to the ceiling," he said. "That scared me; I didn't know they could climb up to the ceiling." So what did he do? Swat it with one of wife Sarah Jessica Parker's Emmys? Not quite. He brought in reinforcements. "I froze, and very delicately picked up my cell phone and called my assistant [and said] that there's a mouse up very high on a curtain," Broderick recalled. Huh, we said. What did he want her to do about it? "Come get me."
Photo: Getty Images
- 1. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 2. American Horror Story’s Taissa Farmiga on Threesomes, Zombies, and Paris Hilton’s Closet
- 3. 12 Years a Slave and the Obama Era
- 4. What’s New on Netflix Streaming This Month: December 2013
- 5. Gilmore Girls Alumni: Where Are They Now?
- 6. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 7. A Thorough List of All the Times Peeta Messes Up in Catching Fire
- 8. Mexican Gunmen Who Stole Truck Will ‘Without a Doubt’ Die From Radiation
- 9. Who Knows What Men Want on OkCupid — Men or Women?