You know what feels totally eighties when you hear about it nowadays? Note-passing. Also, secret deal-making with Russia. And our new transparent president has been engaged in both. (Speaking of which, don't you love how, yesterday, the Obama team bragged about their big step toward "transparency" when they revealed a bunch of memos about shady dealings from the previous administration?) Turns out he's been making plans with Russian president Dmitri Medvedev over what kind of defense structure the U.S. will build in Eastern Europe in order to deter a potentially nuclear Iran. If together we and Russia can prevent Tehran from moving ahead with nuclear and ballistic missile research, the U.S. will halt the construction of the cozy interceptor shield we've got planned near Russia's home turf. Basically, as the two superpowers try to figure out what kind of relationship they'll have going forward, they're debating over the plan, location, and size for this arms shelter. In M.A.S.H. note terms, Bush wanted a Mansion-scale apparatus, Medvedev wanted a Shack, and Obama may settle for an Apartment. We're glad we're not the only people that miss the eighties.
- 1. The Highs and Lows of The Sound of Music Live
- 2. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 3. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 4. 30 of the Best Ponytails in History
- 5. The Whispered Attacks That Could Sink This Year's Oscar Contenders
- 6. Gilmore Girls Alumni: Where Are They Now?
- 7. American Horror Story’s Taissa Farmiga on Threesomes, Zombies, and Paris Hilton’s Closet
- 8. 17 Awesome and Inspiring Facts About Nelson Mandela
- 9. Shonda Rhimes Talks Scandal’s Brutal Season 3 and the Issue of Likability