Two big titles lost some staff members this week, and we learned how many magazines were born in the first quarter of the year compared to how many died (both numbers are larger than you think, and the difference smaller). Plus, one editor has some bracing advice for journalism students.
• Hachette Filipacchi’s Women’s Day cut six people from their editorial staff. [FishbowlNY/Mediabistro]
• 101 magazines died in the first quarter. 95 were born. We’re speechless. [MediaInk/NYP]
• Wenner made cuts at Men’s Journal; no numbers yet. [Mixed Media/Portfolio]
• The Great Oprah Winfrey’s television channel will not launch until 2010. [NYP]
• Business Week editor Steven Adler has some chilling advice for journalism students. [CJR]