U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon announced today that former president Bill Clinton will be a special envoy to Haiti, capitalizing on the work he did there while in office and a recent awareness-raising trip he took a few months back with UN officials and a group of business leaders. (Clinton was supposed to wait until today's announcement by the U.N. to discuss the post, but of course he jumped the gun and sent out his own press release yesterday.) As he did in Southeast Asia with George H. W. Bush in 2004 after the Indian Ocean tsunami, Clinton will look to raise money to help the hurricane- and poverty-ravaged nation. To put it more simply, if the world were a dinner party and Haiti was looking for a seat at the table, Clinton's job would be to make it, like, the more the merrier. After all, may we remind you, it does not say RSVP on the Statue of Liberty.
Photo: Patrick McMullan
- 1. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 2. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 3. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 4. How Rich Do These Magazine Editors Think We Are?
- 5. All the Snubs and Surprises From the 2014 Golden Globe Nominations
- 6. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- 7. Guy Doing Sign Language at Mandela Memorial Was Actually Just Waving His Arms Around
- 8. Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 9. The 2014 Golden Globe Nominations Are Here!