Oprah Winfrey released excerpts this morning from her interviews with Elizabeth Edwards, wife of philandering former presidential candidate John Edwards and author of the upcoming book Resilience. The conversations, which will be aired on Oprah and published in part in O magazine, seem to be wide-ranging and personal. Here are some highlights:
• On whether she's still in love with her husband: "You know, that's a complicated question."
• On whether her feelings change day to day: "Neither one of us is out the door, so I guess it's day by day, but maybe it's month by month."
• On reports that her husband is the father of Rielle Hunter's child, which he has denied: "I've seen a picture of the baby. I have no idea. It doesn't look like my children but I don't have any idea."
• On Rielle Hunter's appeal: "We're basically old-fashioned people … So, this was a pretty big leap for him. Maybe it's being so different is what was attractive."
• On the one gift she asked John for when they were married 31 years ago: "I wanted him to be faithful to me. It was enormously important to me."
Oprah was allowed to ask everything she wanted, according to the Post. Her only restriction was that she was not allowed to mention Rielle Hunter by name.