Self-declared president pro tempore of the Senate and rebel Democrat Pedro Espada announced this afternoon that Republicans have a set of keys to the Senate chamber and plan to convene there and begin session around 3 p.m. Keys or no, the head sergeant-at-arms in the Senate, Bill Martin, just told New York he still won't let them in unless Democratic leader Malcolm Smith gives the okay. "Our orders are not to let anybody in," he said, standing in front of one of the gates. (Sergeants-at-arms, fortunately, are not armed.) Smith, for his part, has this response: "They can play a spirited game of duck-duck-goose in the chamber, but they're not going to be passing any laws."
Photo: Getty Images
- 1. Congressional Republicans Reveal Secret Love for Obamacare
- 2. Adam Levine’s Third Victoria’s Secret Model Girlfriend Gets a Ring
- 3. Sons of Anarchy’s Kurt Sutter on the Season-6 Finale and What’s Next for Jax and Gemma
- 4. Congress Reaches Deal to End Budget Chaos, Angers Conservatives
- 5. Dakota Fanning Looked Like a Luxe Chanel Piñata
- 6. Sons of Anarchy’s Maggie Siff on Tara and Jax, and the Heartbreaking Season-6 Finale
- 7. Stop Asking If the Volcker Rule Will Work. It Already Has
- 8. Guy Doing Sign Language at Mandela Memorial Was Actually Just Waving His Arms Around
- 9. Will Rihanna's Doobie Catch On?