There can be no doubt that President Obama is going through a bit of a rough patch right now. As he continues to deal with the Gordian knot of health-care reform, Obama is falling back on his own popularity and influence to move things forward. In an effort to become a more visible part of the process, he's begun making more television appearances this afternoon in the Rose Garden, in a number of interviews in the past day (he agreed with NewsHour host Jim Lehrer that he owns health-care reform and is proud to be pushing it), and in another prime-time press conference tomorrow night. The problem is that Obama's star power just doesn't get him as far as it once did when his term was young. Take that presser tomorrow. When it was originally scheduled for 9 p.m., only CBS signed on to air it. Fox declined outright, meaning Major Garrett will likely once again not be called upon in retribution. ABC and NBC were on the fence, the latter because they planned to air a special episode of America's Got Talent featuring Susan Boyle. And so the president of the United States, caught in a stare-down with an ephemeral reality-show star, blinked, and decided to move the presser to eight o'clock. That may tell us something about the rut Obama is in now. Then again, maybe he just sympathized with Boyle, a fellow frump.
Photo: Getty Images
- 1. Mad Men Recap: You’re Pretentious, You Know That?
- 2. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 3. This Week’s Mad Men GIF: Ken Cosgrove Does a Jig
- 4. The Era of Private Space Travel Is Just Beginning
- 5. Game of Thrones Recap: Weddings and White Walkers
- 6. Justin Bieber Collects Award, Publicly Sulks, Gets Booed
- 7. Weekend GOP Almost-Impeachment Update
- 8. Obama Administration’s War on Leakers Includes Reading Fox News’s E-mails
- 9. SNL Recap: Welcome Home, Ben Who-Fleck