Former Long Island Republican congressman Rick Lazio will formally announce his candidacy for governor next Monday. Unlike in 2000, when he deferred to Rudy Giuliani, Lazio isn't waiting around for the former mayor to make up his mind this time. Lazio will hope to position himself as an agent of reform in Albany; he's already called for a constitutional convention and a unicameral state legislature. As for his chances, a June Marist poll had Lazio getting shellacked by Andrew Cuomo, but, as could be expected of pretty much anyone, running even with David Paterson. [Daily Politics/NYDN]
Photo: AFP/Getty Images
- 1. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 2. Netflix Adultery Afflicts Half of Relationships, Says Netflix
- 3. In Touch’s ‘Kanye Is Gay’ Story Is Awful
- 4. Could Harvey Weinstein Make History With Three Black Best Actor Oscar Candidates?
- 5. Gay Man Fatally Shot in Greenwich Village in Alleged Hate Crime
- 6. Kim Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament
- 7. Take Vulture’s Arrested Development Superfan Quiz
- 8. Cannes Day 3: Marion Cotillard, Eva Longoria, and an Extraordinary Dress Made of Biscuit Trays
- 9. Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!