If President Obama was hoping to recoup some bailout money in the form of donations, he's not going to like this. The president will host a fundraiser at New York's Mandarin Oriental Hotel tonight with the tycoons in attendance shelling out $30,400 a head. And though lots of those in attendance will be from the finance industry, few come from Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan Chase and Citigroup, three companies that received large chunks of bailout money. The reason they're staying away: to avoid the perception of impropriety. “There are sensitivities there,” a financial industry lobbyist told the Times. Political contributions “can make a donor a target.” And when you already have the blood of the failed economy on your hands, the last thing you want is to become a target.
Photo: Getty Images
- 1. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 2. Guy Doing Sign Language at Mandela Memorial Was Actually Just Waving His Arms Around
- 3. All the Snubs and Surprises From the 2014 Golden Globe Nominations
- 4. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 5. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 6. Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 7. Why Adult Women Squeal Like Teenage Girls Sometimes
- 8. The 2014 Golden Globe Nominations Are Here!
- 9. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013