Everyone's been treating the news of the drowning death of Jeffrey Picower, the Palm Beach philanthropist who managed to reap $7.2 billion from Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme, with one eyebrow raised, as though they suspect his actual death was caused by acute asphyxiation from trying to eat the rest of his ill-gotten gains or something. In fact, his lawyer said in a statement, the autopsy will show that Picower, who suffered from Parkinson's disease and various heart-related problems, drowned after having a massive heart attack. So in the end it's just like everything else in the Bernie Madoff story: kinda boring. [WSJ]
Photo: Getty Images
- 1. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 2. Netflix Adultery Afflicts Half of Relationships, Says Netflix
- 3. In Touch’s ‘Kanye Is Gay’ Story Is Awful
- 4. Could Harvey Weinstein Make History With Three Black Best Actor Oscar Candidates?
- 5. Gay Man Fatally Shot in Greenwich Village in Alleged Hate Crime
- 6. Kim Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament
- 7. Take Vulture’s Arrested Development Superfan Quiz
- 8. Cannes Day 3: Marion Cotillard, Eva Longoria, and an Extraordinary Dress Made of Biscuit Trays
- 9. Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!