All day long, Gawker and the Business Insider have been trying to keep track of the layoff news trickling out of the Associated Press, where the News Media Guild says "dozens of Guild employees" have gotten the ax. "As of 4 p.m., eastern time, the Guild had heard reports of more than 38 terminations from coast to coast affecting managers, reporters, editors, photographers, and editorial assistants," they said in a statement. "In New York, the AP's headquarters, the Guild learned of 20 terminations." Additionally, the sites report that a "high percentage" of editorial assistants are being let go, and that cuts have reached the West Coast; Albany; Denver; Kansas City; Washington, D.C.; and even the Middle East.
- 1. The Real Reason Twentysomething Women Are Worried
- 2. Can You Guess Famous 30 Rock Quotes From Just a GIF or Freeze-Frame?
- 3. ‘Breathe Me’: The Oral History of the Six Feet Under Finale’s Death Montage
- 4. What the Hell Is David Brooks’s Column About?
- 5. Interview: Blake Lively on the Cheesecake Factory, Gucci, and Her New Website
- 6. See Every Absurd Outfit Jennifer Love Hewitt Wears on Season One of The Client List
- 7. Bloomberg Reacts to Heartbreaking Story of Homeless Girl: ‘That’s Just the Way God Works’
- 8. Shia LaBeouf Apologizes for Ripping Off Daniel Clowes
- 9. ‘Splat!’: The Oral History of Sex and the City’s Most Shocking Episode