Earlier today, before the ongoing debate over gay marriage began, the State Assembly and then the State Senate passed a $2.7 billion deficit-reduction plan that largely relies on one-off savings and revenue generators while protecting funding for schools. "Hold on," you may be asking. "Isn't the budget deficit $3.2 billion, and maybe as high as $4 billion? And isn't $2.7 billion less than both of those numbers?" Yes! Which is why Governor Paterson, though he'll sign the bill, will also be reducing payments of state aid to local municipalities on his own to make up the difference, a decision critics claim is unconstitutional. No, this is not over.
- 1. World Leaders Take Most Menacing G8 Group Photo Ever
- 2. Did Kimye Name Their Baby Kaidence Donda West?
- 3. The 10 Ways That Men Text Women
- 4. Dan Harmon Got Rehired for Community for the Same Reason He Got Fired
- 5. Man of Steel City Damage Professionally Estimated
- 6. The Story Behind the Brazil Protest’s Shocking Pepper-Spray Photo [Updated]
- 7. Serena Williams Issues Pathetic Non-Apology [Updated]
- 8. Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced to Prison [Updated]
- 9. Mad Men’s Kiernan Shipka on Smoking, Eye Rolls, and What’s Next for Poor Sally Draper