You read that right: TWO HUNDRED DEAF CHILDREN. Even though the local archdiocese appealed to then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger (future Pope Benedict XVI) multiple times to try Wisconsin priest Lawrence Murphy in a canonical court, Ratzinger kept the crimes secret, ignored their appeals, and allowed the man to continue to minister to children until his death in 1998, at which point he was buried in a grand ceremony, still in his priestly robes. [NYT]
Photo: Getty Images
- 1. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 2. Netflix Adultery Afflicts Half of Relationships, Says Netflix
- 3. Kim Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament
- 4. Could Harvey Weinstein Make History With Three Black Best Actor Oscar Candidates?
- 5. Take Vulture’s Arrested Development Superfan Quiz
- 6. Cannes Day 3: Marion Cotillard, Eva Longoria, and an Extraordinary Dress Made of Biscuit Trays
- 7. Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!
- 8. Kids in the Hall Alum Scott Thompson on Hannibal and Why Being Gay Is Now Boring
- 9. Cannes: Paris Hilton Cried While Watching The Bling Ring