Mustafa Abu al-Yazid — Al Qaeda’s co-founder and third in command, as well as the operational leader in Afghanistan — has been killed in the Pakistan-Afghanistan border area, according to a statement attributed to the terror network that was posted on Islamist websites. Yazid, who was also Al Qaeda’s financial director, was allegedly killed by a missile-carrying drone, according to a senior U.S. official. A different official said that "in terms of counterterrorism this would be a big victory," as Yazid "was key to Al Qaeda's command and control," making this loss "in some respects ... more important for Al Qaeda operations than if [Osama] bin Laden or [Ayman] Zawahiri was killed."
Photo: via CNN.com
- 1. Congressional Republicans Reveal Secret Love for Obamacare
- 2. Adam Levine’s Third Victoria’s Secret Model Girlfriend Gets a Ring
- 3. Sons of Anarchy’s Kurt Sutter on the Season-6 Finale and What’s Next for Jax and Gemma
- 4. Congress Reaches Deal to End Budget Chaos, Angers Conservatives
- 5. Dakota Fanning Looked Like a Luxe Chanel Piñata
- 6. Sons of Anarchy’s Maggie Siff on Tara and Jax, and the Heartbreaking Season-6 Finale
- 7. Will Rihanna's Doobie Catch On?
- 8. The Hair Stories Behind American Hustle
- 9. Stop Asking If the Volcker Rule Will Work. It Already Has