In light of increasing murder rates this past year, NYPD commissioner Ray Kelly is shifting the officers in about 40 police departments, a move that will “shuffle bosses in every borough and affect dozens of units.” While the department has not expressly indicated the reason for the shake-up, a police source (who called the order “very unlike Kelly”) told the Post that some of the department commanders “were getting burned out or stale” and that this will be a way to provide some new energy and fresh faces. The number of murders in the city has risen 20.2 percent this past year.
Photo: Andrew H. Walker/Getty Images
- 1. The Real Reason Twentysomething Women Are Worried
- 2. Can You Guess Famous 30 Rock Quotes From Just a GIF or Freeze-Frame?
- 3. ‘Breathe Me’: The Oral History of the Six Feet Under Finale’s Death Montage
- 4. What the Hell Is David Brooks’s Column About?
- 5. Interview: Blake Lively on the Cheesecake Factory, Gucci, and Her New Website
- 6. See Every Absurd Outfit Jennifer Love Hewitt Wears on Season One of The Client List
- 7. Bloomberg Reacts to Heartbreaking Story of Homeless Girl: ‘That’s Just the Way God Works’
- 8. Shia LaBeouf Apologizes for Ripping Off Daniel Clowes
- 9. ‘Splat!’: The Oral History of Sex and the City’s Most Shocking Episode