Can we really refer to Elena Kagan as "your next Supreme Court justice" and not "possibly your next potential Supreme Court justice" or something similarly qualified? Probably. Seven Senate Republicans already voted to confirm her as solicitor general just last year. Those seven, plus the four other Republicans who voted for Sonia Sotomayor, plus Scott Brown — because who knows with him — are the twelve Republicans whose votes are realistically in play for Kagan, according to Chuck Todd and friends. Tom Goldstein at SCOTUSblog, meanwhile, expects Kagan to be confirmed by a 65–35 vote, with the support of six Republicans. Either way, chances are high she'll be confirmed, so you should start getting acquainted. Here she is this morning, accepting President Obama's nomination. Spoiler: She thinks highly of "the law."
- 1. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 2. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 3. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 4. How Rich Do These Magazine Editors Think We Are?
- 5. All the Snubs and Surprises From the 2014 Golden Globe Nominations
- 6. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- 7. Guy Doing Sign Language at Mandela Memorial Was Actually Just Waving His Arms Around
- 8. Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 9. The 2014 Golden Globe Nominations Are Here!