Oil hit the Mississippi shore for the first time Sunday, as "large patches" of thick oil washed onto two of the state’s tourist beaches. Wildlife officials also picked up a pelican covered in oil. State officials and the Coast Guard said they are waiting on BP contractors before the cleanup effort can begin: "We cannot clean up or catch the oil until BP gets here," Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality spokesman Earl Etheridge said. "They have all of our people they have all the money." [Reuters]
Photo: Getty Images
- 1. The Real Reason Twentysomething Women Are Worried
- 2. Can You Guess Famous 30 Rock Quotes From Just a GIF or Freeze-Frame?
- 3. ‘Breathe Me’: The Oral History of the Six Feet Under Finale’s Death Montage
- 4. What the Hell Is David Brooks’s Column About?
- 5. Interview: Blake Lively on the Cheesecake Factory, Gucci, and Her New Website
- 6. See Every Absurd Outfit Jennifer Love Hewitt Wears on Season One of The Client List
- 7. Bloomberg Reacts to Heartbreaking Story of Homeless Girl: ‘That’s Just the Way God Works’
- 8. Shia LaBeouf Apologizes for Ripping Off Daniel Clowes
- 9. ‘Splat!’: The Oral History of Sex and the City’s Most Shocking Episode