It's a tumultuous day in the world of fashion editorial. First Sally Singer leaves Vogue for T, and now word comes that W's new editorial director, Stefano Tonchi (late of T himself), has cleaned house even further. When former editorial director Patrick McCarthy left, one editor described the top of the masthead situation as "dysfunctional." Now all three of the top editors under McCarthy are gone: Bridget Foley to edit WWD full-time, Dennis Freedman when our own Jody Quon was brought on as creative director, and now today Julie Belcove has been laid off. Belcove was among six editorial layoffs today. The Daily reported that the others include Dana Wood, fashion features editor, Brian Sullivan, the editorial manager, and Lauran Kill, his deputy. We hear that photo editor Nadia Vellam and Freedman's assistant, Meghan McElheny, round out the list. "The place is drowning in packing boxes," says a W staffer in the midst of all this. In hiring news, Tonchi brought on Newsweek's executive editor, Ted Moncreiff, who a source says will be valued for his managing and assigning skills as well as deep rolodex of writers.
Photo: Julien M. Hekimian/Getty Images
- 1. Warning: You Will Cry a Little When You Watch This Oklahoma Woman Find Her Dog in the Rubble
- 2. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 3. 5 Insane Videos of the Tornado in Moore, Oklahoma
- 4. Game of Thrones’ Sophie Turner on Sansa’s Wedding Day and Drunk Tyrion
- 5. Mad Men Recap: You’re Pretentious, You Know That?
- 6. Arrested Development’s 20 Most Meta Meta-Moments
- 7. The Era of Private Space Travel Is Just Beginning
- 8. Oklahoma Woman Has to Leave State Now, Forever, Thanks to Wolf Blitzer
- 9. This Week’s Mad Men GIF: Ken Cosgrove Does a Jig