Rigging contractor William Rapetti was cleared of all charges related to a crane collapse that killed seven people on East 51st Street two years ago. Prosecutors said Rapetti was to blame because he used shoddy slings to hold up a portion of the crane as it was raised, but Rapetti’s lawyers argued that city agencies "made many mistakes that led to the collapse," like offering steel beams "not made to the engineer’s specifications" in the first place. [City Room/NYT]
Photo: John Marshall Mantel for NYT
- 1. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 2. American Horror Story’s Taissa Farmiga on Threesomes, Zombies, and Paris Hilton’s Closet
- 3. 12 Years a Slave and the Obama Era
- 4. What’s New on Netflix Streaming This Month: December 2013
- 5. Gilmore Girls Alumni: Where Are They Now?
- 6. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 7. A Thorough List of All the Times Peeta Messes Up in Catching Fire
- 8. Mexican Gunmen Who Stole Truck Will ‘Without a Doubt’ Die From Radiation
- 9. Who Knows What Men Want on OkCupid — Men or Women?