Rigging contractor William Rapetti was cleared of all charges related to a crane collapse that killed seven people on East 51st Street two years ago. Prosecutors said Rapetti was to blame because he used shoddy slings to hold up a portion of the crane as it was raised, but Rapetti’s lawyers argued that city agencies "made many mistakes that led to the collapse," like offering steel beams "not made to the engineer’s specifications" in the first place. [City Room/NYT]
Photo: John Marshall Mantel for NYT
- 1. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 2. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 3. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 4. How Rich Do These Magazine Editors Think We Are?
- 5. All the Snubs and Surprises From the 2014 Golden Globe Nominations
- 6. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- 7. Guy Doing Sign Language at Mandela Memorial Was Actually Just Waving His Arms Around
- 8. Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 9. The 2014 Golden Globe Nominations Are Here!