After a suit from the American Freedom Defense Initiative last week, the MTA has signed off on ads opposing the planned "ground zero mosque." The ads — which are scheduled to be printed and posted on city buses within ten days — feature an image of an “airplane headed toward the burning World Trade Center” next to a building that’s labeled as “WTC Mega Mosque” and the words “Why There?” A lawyer for the New Hampshire organization behind the campaign referred to the decision as “a victory not just for free speech but against political correctness and Mayor Bloomberg's bullying." A spokesman for the mayor declined to comment.
Photo: Timothy A. Clary/AFP/Getty Images
- 1. Warning: You Will Cry a Little When You Watch This Oklahoma Woman Find Her Dog in the Rubble
- 2. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 3. 5 Insane Videos of the Tornado in Moore, Oklahoma
- 4. Game of Thrones’ Sophie Turner on Sansa’s Wedding Day and Drunk Tyrion
- 5. Mad Men Recap: You’re Pretentious, You Know That?
- 6. Arrested Development’s 20 Most Meta Meta-Moments
- 7. The Era of Private Space Travel Is Just Beginning
- 8. This Week’s Mad Men GIF: Ken Cosgrove Does a Jig
- 9. Tramp Stamps: A Self-Fulfilling Prophecy?