It was announced earlier this week that the network G4 will be airing a "reality show" this spring called Bomb Patrol: Afghanistan, which will follow a real-life bomb-disposal squad on duty. This just doesn't sit right with Maddow. Prefacing her stance with the argument that viewers watch reality shows like The Bachelorette and Jersey Shore for the "incidental disasters," Maddow criticizes the apparent "packaging of the war as entertainment" here: "Certainly the prospect of ... American casualties is what they think is going to make people tune in, and is already what they are marketing about the show," she says. Frank Rich stops by, too, giving a brief history lesson and then describing the planned series as having a "snuff-movie quality that's depressing."
- 1. Mad Men Recap: You’re Pretentious, You Know That?
- 2. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 3. This Week’s Mad Men GIF: Ken Cosgrove Does a Jig
- 4. The Era of Private Space Travel Is Just Beginning
- 5. Game of Thrones Recap: Weddings and White Walkers
- 6. Justin Bieber Collects Award, Publicly Sulks, Gets Booed
- 7. Weekend GOP Almost-Impeachment Update
- 8. In Touch’s ‘Kanye Is Gay’ Story Is Awful
- 9. Obama Administration’s War on Leakers Includes Reading Fox News’s E-mails