"We face an increasing threat from a well-organized network, drug-trafficking threat that is, in some cases, morphing into, or making common cause with, what we would consider an insurgency." —Hillary Clinton, comparing the violence that's cost 28,000 lives in Mexico since December 2006 to Colombia's struggle against a leftist insurgency, financed by drug money, that controlled up to 40 percent of the country. Clinton's comments mark a departure for the Obama administration. Although it typically praises authorities' efforts in Mexico, top U.S. officials are now noting that the Mexican government does not always act on intel shared by the U.S., fueling rumors about corruption. Well, it's been nice knowing you, Hillary Clinton. It was sweet how you tried to fix health care that one time.
Photo: Alex Wong/Getty Images
- 1. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 2. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 3. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 4. How Rich Do These Magazine Editors Think We Are?
- 5. All the Snubs and Surprises From the 2014 Golden Globe Nominations
- 6. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- 7. Guy Doing Sign Language at Mandela Memorial Was Actually Just Waving His Arms Around
- 8. Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 9. The 2014 Golden Globe Nominations Are Here!