New York City's overall crime rate may be down 1.5 percent, but the number of murders has climbed 13.2 percent from the same time period last year, with increases of 25.9 percent in Queens, 12.2 percent in Manhattan, and 7.4 percent in Brooklyn. This comes after 2009 reported the fewest number of killings since the NYPD started collecting crime data in 1963. The number of rapes reported is also up by 13.5 percent, with a chilling 45.1 increase in Manhattan. During the first nine months of last year, there were no reported rapes in Central Park; this year there have been seven so far. East New York reported 23 homicides, the most in the city. At the 47th Precinct, in the north Bronx, the number of murders is up 46.2 percent. So much for wondering what it would take to get the number to zero.
Photo: Getty Images
- 1. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 2. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 3. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 4. How Rich Do These Magazine Editors Think We Are?
- 5. All the Snubs and Surprises From the 2014 Golden Globe Nominations
- 6. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- 7. Guy Doing Sign Language at Mandela Memorial Was Actually Just Waving His Arms Around
- 8. Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 9. The 2014 Golden Globe Nominations Are Here!