Today, exactly a week after Mariner Energy's oil rig exploded in the Gulf of Mexico, the company faced a flash fire on another oil and gas platform, this one located in shallow waters 109 miles south of Lafayette, Louisiana. The fire was quickly extinguished and no pollution was reported. The platform, which was installed in 1978, is usually unmanned. The fire occurred when the out-of-service pipeline was being decommissioned. No workers had to be evacuated. [WSJ]
Photo: Mario Tama/Getty Images
- 1. The Real Reason Twentysomething Women Are Worried
- 2. Can You Guess Famous 30 Rock Quotes From Just a GIF or Freeze-Frame?
- 3. ‘Breathe Me’: The Oral History of the Six Feet Under Finale’s Death Montage
- 4. What the Hell Is David Brooks’s Column About?
- 5. Interview: Blake Lively on the Cheesecake Factory, Gucci, and Her New Website
- 6. See Every Absurd Outfit Jennifer Love Hewitt Wears on Season One of The Client List
- 7. Bloomberg Reacts to Heartbreaking Story of Homeless Girl: ‘That’s Just the Way God Works’
- 8. Shia LaBeouf Apologizes for Ripping Off Daniel Clowes
- 9. ‘Splat!’: The Oral History of Sex and the City’s Most Shocking Episode