It seems as if every day, Carl Paladino or Sharron Angle say something that makes your jaw drop. Not even related to their policies themselves, mind you, but just the way they campaign and speak about their political adversaries. We’re talking about threatening a reporter, or warning of armed insurrection, for example. But they’re not alone. Every campaign season sees its share of mean insults and crazy allegations, but the rhetoric in this year's race seems, on the whole, a little more vitriolic, irrational, and hysterical than usual. In some cases, it's clear that the boundaries of acceptable political discourse have shifted; remarks that a few years ago would gotten a candidate laughed out of a race are apparently no longer disqualifying. To put it all into perspective, we've plotted some of the most memorable examples based on their approximate levels of nastiness and extremism. See how many soul-crushing moments you remember!
- 1. World Leaders Take Most Menacing G8 Group Photo Ever
- 2. The 10 Ways That Men Text Women
- 3. Did Kimye Name Their Baby Kaidence Donda West?
- 4. Man of Steel City Damage Professionally Estimated
- 5. The Story Behind the Brazil Protest’s Shocking Pepper-Spray Photo [Updated]
- 6. Miami Heat Fans Leave Game Early, Beg to Get Back in After Incredible Rally, Are the Worst
- 7. Serena Williams Issues Pathetic Non-Apology [Updated]
- 8. Serena Williams Thinks Steubenville Rape Victim ‘Shouldn’t Have Put Herself in That Position’ [Update]
- 9. Trent Franks’s Abortion Bill Passes the House, With One Last Gaffe