It seems as if every day, Carl Paladino or Sharron Angle say something that makes your jaw drop. Not even related to their policies themselves, mind you, but just the way they campaign and speak about their political adversaries. We’re talking about threatening a reporter, or warning of armed insurrection, for example. But they’re not alone. Every campaign season sees its share of mean insults and crazy allegations, but the rhetoric in this year's race seems, on the whole, a little more vitriolic, irrational, and hysterical than usual. In some cases, it's clear that the boundaries of acceptable political discourse have shifted; remarks that a few years ago would gotten a candidate laughed out of a race are apparently no longer disqualifying. To put it all into perspective, we've plotted some of the most memorable examples based on their approximate levels of nastiness and extremism. See how many soul-crushing moments you remember!
- 1. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 2. American Horror Story’s Taissa Farmiga on Threesomes, Zombies, and Paris Hilton’s Closet
- 3. 12 Years a Slave and the Obama Era
- 4. What’s New on Netflix Streaming This Month: December 2013
- 5. Gilmore Girls Alumni: Where Are They Now?
- 6. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 7. A Thorough List of All the Times Peeta Messes Up in Catching Fire
- 8. Mexican Gunmen Who Stole Truck Will ‘Without a Doubt’ Die From Radiation
- 9. Who Knows What Men Want on OkCupid — Men or Women?