It has been easy to ridicule Carl Paladino’s campaign for governor. And the video he just released is more strangeness: It seems to have been completely improvised, shot in some kind of public lobby with knives and forks clinking in the background, and I waited thirteen minutes for some explanation of the identity of the young person sitting nearly motionless behind Paladino’s right shoulder. But it’s also strangely compelling. Not just for Paladino’s invocation of the memory of his dead son, but for his raw exasperation with New York government. That feeling is shared by millions, and it hasn’t been adequately addressed by Andrew Cuomo. Paladino will lose big tomorrow, but the larger problems and emotions he’s trying to express won’t be going away.
- 1. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 2. 12 Years a Slave and the Obama Era
- 3. American Horror Story’s Taissa Farmiga on Threesomes, Zombies, and Paris Hilton’s Closet
- 4. What’s New on Netflix Streaming This Month: December 2013
- 5. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 6. A Thorough List of All the Times Peeta Messes Up in Catching Fire
- 7. Gilmore Girls Alumni: Where Are They Now?
- 8. Mexican Gunmen Who Stole Truck Will ‘Without a Doubt’ Die From Radiation
- 9. Who Knows What Men Want on OkCupid — Men or Women?