Normally you head to Coney for fun in the sun. But Saturday was a dark day for a couple hundred regulars who turned out to protest the ouster of Ruby’s — which along with Shoot the Freak and other venerable establishments is losing its lease — and literally drank the beloved boardwalk dive out of business. As noted earlier on Grub Street, Cindy Jacobs-Allman recalled that her father, Ruby Jacobs, liked to celebrate Coney Island’s “tapestry of humanity”— here, now, is a look at some of the Coney types who banded together on Saturday. We aren’t pouring one out just yet — an online petition is still circulating and the business owners are talking to lawyers.
- 1. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 2. Uber Might Be More Valuable Than Facebook Someday. Here’s Why
- 3. AMC Has Canceled Low Winter Sun
- 4. Forty Women That Women Find Beautiful
- 5. Why Conservatives Got Segregation Wrong a Second Time in South Africa
- 6. 30 of the Best Ponytails in History
- 7. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 8. Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 9. And the 2014 Grammy Nominees Are...