The city council voted unanimously yesterday to sharply increase fines for business owners who place ATMs on the sidewalk outside of their stores, bars, and restaurants. Such ATMs have actually always been illegal, but obviously that hasn't mattered. So why is the city council finally pushing to get rid of them? "They're seedy, they're dirtying streets, they're blocking all types of egress on streets," Speaker Christine Quinn said, also referring to them as "automatic trouble machines." Really? We thought they were convenient ways to procure money. [NYP, Gotham Gazette]
Photo: empty streets' Flickr via Gotham Gazette
- 1. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 2. Netflix Adultery Afflicts Half of Relationships, Says Netflix
- 3. In Touch’s ‘Kanye Is Gay’ Story Is Awful
- 4. Could Harvey Weinstein Make History With Three Black Best Actor Oscar Candidates?
- 5. Gay Man Fatally Shot in Greenwich Village in Alleged Hate Crime [Updated]
- 6. Kim Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament
- 7. Take Vulture’s Arrested Development Superfan Quiz
- 8. Cannes Day 3: Marion Cotillard, Eva Longoria, and an Extraordinary Dress Made of Biscuit Trays
- 9. Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!