Just fourteen months after the State Senate rejected a same-sex marriage bill, new governor Andrew Cuomo said he's going to try again. Cuomo campaigned on a pro-marriage-equality platform, and is preparing a new version of the bill, which has gay-rights advocates thrilled. Marriage-equality legislation has passed numerous times in the State Assembly, but has been repeatedly blocked in the State Senate. It's about time — at least according to public opinion polls, which say that more New Yorkers than ever support the marriage-equality bill. [NYT]
Photo: Getty Images News
- 1. The Real Reason Twentysomething Women Are Worried
- 2. Can You Guess Famous 30 Rock Quotes From Just a GIF or Freeze-Frame?
- 3. ‘Breathe Me’: The Oral History of the Six Feet Under Finale’s Death Montage
- 4. What the Hell Is David Brooks’s Column About?
- 5. Interview: Blake Lively on the Cheesecake Factory, Gucci, and Her New Website
- 6. See Every Absurd Outfit Jennifer Love Hewitt Wears on Season One of The Client List
- 7. Bloomberg Reacts to Heartbreaking Story of Homeless Girl: ‘That’s Just the Way God Works’
- 8. Shia LaBeouf Apologizes for Ripping Off Daniel Clowes
- 9. ‘Splat!’: The Oral History of Sex and the City’s Most Shocking Episode