A moderate Republican senator hopes to end the battle over unions in Wisconsin with compromise legislation that, after stripping unions of their collective bargaining rights the whole brouhaha's main point of contention would reinstate them in 2013. But in the meantime, the ranks of protesters around Madison's capitol building continue to swell, with a reported 70,000 union members and union supporters showing up over the weekend. When you take away the looming threat of their rights being dissolved, it actually sounds like it might be kind of a good time. In addition to the free pizza, Rage Against the Machine's Tom Morello has decided to perform for the crowd as his solo act, the Nightwatchman. Referring in a statement to Republican governor Scott Walker as "the Mubarak of the Midwest," Morello adds, "History is happening in the streets of Madison, Wisconsin, and I'm going to be there." Best union conflict ever!
Photo: Taylor Hill/Getty Images
- 1. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 2. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 3. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 4. All the Snubs and Surprises From the 2014 Golden Globe Nominations
- 5. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- 6. Guy Doing Sign Language at Mandela Memorial Was Actually Just Waving His Arms Around
- 7. Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 8. The 2014 Golden Globe Nominations Are Here!
- 9. Why Adult Women Squeal Like Teenage Girls Sometimes