It still doesn't mean he's going to actually run, but Donald Trump must be pretty damn pleased that a new PPP poll that shows him grabbing second-place behind hometown candidate Mitt Romney among "384 usual New Hampshire Republican primary voters." Here's the thing though: While his strong showing will be chalked up to his new role as the nation's most ubiquitous birther, a look deeper inside the numbers shows that that's not the totality of his appeal. Yes, Trump leads all candidates among voters who don't believe President Obama was born in the United States, 22 percent to 21 percent. But Trump still comes in second behind Romney among GOP voters who believe Obama was born in the United States. In other words, even non-birthers in New Hampshire prefer Trump over Mike Huckabee, Sarah Palin, Newt Gingrich, Ron Paul, Tim Pawlenty, etc. It appears that Trump the Birther doesn't actually harm the reputation of Trump the Business Executive, with this electorate, at least.
Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images
- 1. Mad Men Recap: You’re Pretentious, You Know That?
- 2. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 3. The Era of Private Space Travel Is Just Beginning
- 4. This Week’s Mad Men GIF: Ken Cosgrove Does a Jig
- 5. Game of Thrones Recap: Weddings and White Walkers
- 6. Justin Bieber Collects Award, Publicly Sulks, Gets Booed
- 7. In Touch’s ‘Kanye Is Gay’ Story Is Awful
- 8. New Crazy Black Republican Is Craziest Black Republican Yet
- 9. SNL Recap: Welcome Home, Ben Who-Fleck