Times sports columnist Richard Sandomir reports that Dick Ebersol, the chairman of NBC Sports and a producer of megaevents like the Olympics for the network, is leaving. He couldn't come to an agreement with NBC and its new bosses at Comcast, which raises the question of whether they'll go after the Olympics so aggressively again in 2014 and 2016. (The network notoriously lost $223 million on the 2010 games, by far the largest loss for the eight Olympics Ebersol has overseen.) NBC has the rights to the 2012 Games in London, which came in a $2.2 billion package with the 2010 Vancouver Games. Ebersol's replacement will be Mark Lazarus, the president of the NBC Sports cable group.
Photo: Jimi Celeste/PatrickMcMullan.com
- 1. Mad Men Recap: You’re Pretentious, You Know That?
- 2. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 3. The Era of Private Space Travel Is Just Beginning
- 4. This Week’s Mad Men GIF: Ken Cosgrove Does a Jig
- 5. Game of Thrones Recap: Weddings and White Walkers
- 6. Justin Bieber Collects Award, Publicly Sulks, Gets Booed
- 7. In Touch’s ‘Kanye Is Gay’ Story Is Awful
- 8. Weekend GOP Almost-Impeachment Update
- 9. SNL Recap: Welcome Home, Ben Who-Fleck