Former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak will issue an official apology to Egypt and plead for amnesty, according to the Egyptian independent newspaper al-Shorouk. According to Egyptian officials, Mubarak is “drafting a letter which will be broadcast on Egyptian and Arabic channels, apologizing on behalf of himself and his family for any offense caused to the people.” As part of the amnesty agreement, Mubarak is expected to hand over all of his assets, just as his wife did. The request for amnesty would most likely apply to Mubarak and his wife, and not to his sons Alaa and Gamal, who are currently being held in a Cairo prison on corruption charges.
Photo: Saul Loeb/Getty Images
- 1. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 2. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 3. All the Snubs and Surprises From the 2014 Golden Globe Nominations
- 4. Guy Doing Sign Language at Mandela Memorial Was Actually Just Waving His Arms Around
- 5. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 6. Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 7. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- 8. Why Adult Women Squeal Like Teenage Girls Sometimes
- 9. The 2014 Golden Globe Nominations Are Here!