Three cops working for Arizona's notorious Sheriff Joe Arpaio were arrested this morning for human smuggling, narcotics trafficking, and laundering money for a vast drug ring with ties to Mexico's Sinaloa cartel. One of the cops, Deputy Alfredo Navarrette, was a ten-year veteran of Arpaio's controversial anti-human smuggling division, which has been criticized for civil rights violations. After Navarrette's arrest, a sweep of his apartment turned up two illegal immigrants. Another cop, Marcella Hernandez, is eight months pregnant with the child of the cartel's capitán. She had nearly $20,000 on her when she and Sylvia Najera, another corrections officer, were arrested this morning. Guess when Arpaio started calling himself "America's Toughest Sheriff," he forgot to add, "unless it's happening right in front of me."
Photo: Ethan Miller/Getty Images
- 1. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 2. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 3. All the Snubs and Surprises From the 2014 Golden Globe Nominations
- 4. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 5. Guy Doing Sign Language at Mandela Memorial Was Actually Just Waving His Arms Around
- 6. Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 7. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- 8. Why Adult Women Squeal Like Teenage Girls Sometimes
- 9. The 2014 Golden Globe Nominations Are Here!