State Senate Republicans are in yet another meeting, with same-sex marriage yet again a main subject. Here’s something to watch for when they finally emerge: a possible push to settle the legalization question through public referendum. Cuomo would never go for it, but the theory is that this move would spare the last few Senate undecideds the wrath of stridently pro- and anti-marriage forces, while at the same time throwing Governor Cuomo’s words of last night back at him, that “the people are entitled to a vote on this issue.” He was talking about a legislative vote, this week, of course, and the rest of Cuomo’s remarks seemed to indicate he believes he’s got the decisive margin locked down. Calling for a referendum would also be an attempt to calm the Conservative Party’s Mike Long: Hey, we tried everything to stop this. Delay and deferral are art forms in Albany.
Photo: Matthew Cavanaugh/Getty Images
- 1. Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side
- 2. Megyn Kelly Believes in (White) Santa
- 3. The Dumbest GIFs From the Victoria’s Secret TV Special
- 4. How Rich Do These Magazine Editors Think We Are?
- 5. All the Snubs and Surprises From the 2014 Golden Globe Nominations
- 6. The Best, Worst, & Sheerest Fashion Moments of 2013
- 7. Guy Doing Sign Language at Mandela Memorial Was Actually Just Waving His Arms Around
- 8. Rashida Jones Was a Whore Between 2007 and 2011
- 9. The 2014 Golden Globe Nominations Are Here!