In 2009, about 19 percent of same-sex couples raising children reported having an adopted child in the house, up from 8 percent in 2000, the New York Times reports. The upswing comes despite legal hurdles, such as a recently passed Arizona law requiring social workers to give preference to married heterosexual couples. The Times hones in on one such couple, Matt and Ray Lees — "two white men driving eight black children in a large Mercedes minivan in suburban Ohio" — and their family sounds awesome: The duo adopted two Haitian children, one American baby, and five siblings whose drug-addicted mother couldn't care for them. “When we first considered it, we thought, people are going to think we're crazy for having eight kids,” said 39-year-old Matt. "But it was the best way we could think of spending the next 20 years of our lives." [NYT]
Photo: Health Blog
- 1. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 2. Warning: You Will Cry a Little When You Watch This Oklahoma Woman Find Her Dog in the Rubble
- 3. 5 Insane Videos of the Tornado in Moore, Oklahoma
- 4. Mad Men Recap: You’re Pretentious, You Know That?
- 5. Game of Thrones’ Sophie Turner on Sansa’s Wedding Day and Drunk Tyrion
- 6. The Era of Private Space Travel Is Just Beginning
- 7. This Is What a Two-Mile-Wide Tornado Did to Moore, Oklahoma [Updated]
- 8. Tramp Stamps: A Self-Fulfilling Prophecy?
- 9. Kate Middleton Still Acting Like a Total Commoner