Much like there are pizza places and authentic New York pizza places, there are also bodegas and authentic New York bodegas. What differentiates the two? According to a rule we just made up, just now, as we were typing this out, an authentic bodega is home not only to decades-old cans of beans and tuna, but also to a bodega cat, which patrols the store for vermin and startles customers who almost step on it by accident all the time.
After years of being ignored, bodega cats are finally getting their due attention. They have their own Flickr page, one of them made an appearance in the first season of Louie, and now, they are the focus of a faux nature documentary, replete with British narration.
- 1. Uber Might Be More Valuable Than Facebook Someday. Here’s Why
- 2. David Edelstein’s 10 Best Movies of 2013
- 3. Matt Zoller Seitz’s 10 Best TV Shows of 2013
- 4. Where It Hurts: Steve McQueen on Why 12 Years a Slave Isn’t Just About Slavery
- 5. Jody Rosen’s 10 Best Pop Albums of 2013
- 6. How the New York Times Got Scooped on Its Own Story
- 7. Julia Louis-Dreyfus in the Present Tense: How the Actress Made Her Transformational Turn on Veep
- 8. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 9. The 2013 Culture Awards - Jerry Saltz on the 10 Best Art Shows