Remember when George W. Bush ordered the invasion of Iraq because of weapons of mass destruction, but secretly because Saddam Hussein had tried to kill his dad ten years earlier? At the request of Iraqi officials, Kuwait has just decided to free nine Iraqis who were imprisoned in that assassination plot. In April 1993, with the backing of the Iraqi Intelligence Service, the men had planned to kill former president George H.W. Bush during a visit to Kuwait, but the plot was foiled by Kuwaiti authorities. A couple of months later, President Bill Clinton launched cruise missiles against Iraq in retaliation, killing eight people. Ah, bi-partisanship.
Photo: RAED QUTEINA/AFP/Getty Images
- 1. World Leaders Take Most Menacing G8 Group Photo Ever
- 2. Did Kimye Name Their Baby Kaidence Donda West?
- 3. The 10 Ways That Men Text Women
- 4. Dan Harmon Got Rehired for Community for the Same Reason He Got Fired
- 5. Man of Steel City Damage Professionally Estimated
- 6. The Story Behind the Brazil Protest’s Shocking Pepper-Spray Photo [Updated]
- 7. Serena Williams Issues Pathetic Non-Apology [Updated]
- 8. Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced to Prison [Updated]
- 9. Mad Men’s Kiernan Shipka on Smoking, Eye Rolls, and What’s Next for Poor Sally Draper