The winners of this year's $500,000 no-strings-attached awards include the New Yorker's Peter Hessler, "Radiolab" host and producer Jab Abumrad, and cellist Alisa Weilerstein, who nearly deleted the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation's initial notification e-mail: "I got what I thought was a random email. I thought it was spam. It said, 'I've been trying to get in touch with you, can you please call me back.' And I replied, 'Well, I don't know who you are.'" Not a Nigerian prince in need of help with a wire transfer, for once. [WSJ]
- 1. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 2. Netflix Adultery Afflicts Half of Relationships, Says Netflix
- 3. In Touch’s ‘Kanye Is Gay’ Story Is Awful
- 4. Kim Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament
- 5. Could Harvey Weinstein Make History With Three Black Best Actor Oscar Candidates?
- 6. Take Vulture’s Arrested Development Superfan Quiz
- 7. Cannes Day 3: Marion Cotillard, Eva Longoria, and an Extraordinary Dress Made of Biscuit Trays
- 8. Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!
- 9. Kids in the Hall Alum Scott Thompson on Hannibal and Why Being Gay Is Now Boring