The 92-year-old 60 Minutes grump will announce the end of his regular commentary segment, "A Few Minutes with Andy Rooney," on Sunday, in his 1,097th bite-sized editorial. Rooney first joined CBS in 1949, and started at the venerated weekly news magazine in 1978. Last year, he said he hoped to work for 60 Minutes until he "dropped dead," and added, "Until somebody tells me different, I’m not going to quit." Last Sunday's season premiere was suspiciously without Rooney's segment, in which he sits behind a desk and acts old. CBS News chairman Jeff Fager said in a statement that Rooney "can't be replaced."
- 1. The Highs and Lows of The Sound of Music Live
- 2. All My Exes Live in Texts: Why the Social Media Generation Never Really Breaks Up
- 3. Joe Jonas: My Life As a Jonas Brother
- 4. The Whispered Attacks That Could Sink This Year's Oscar Contenders
- 5. 30 of the Best Ponytails in History
- 6. American Horror Story’s Taissa Farmiga on Threesomes, Zombies, and Paris Hilton’s Closet
- 7. Gilmore Girls Alumni: Where Are They Now?
- 8. 17 Awesome and Inspiring Facts About Nelson Mandela
- 9. Shonda Rhimes Talks Scandal’s Brutal Season 3 and the Issue of Likability