While we wouldn't blame anyone for assuming bedbugs carry disease, it turns out that they are not, in fact, known to cause any physical illnesses. (Mental ones are a different story.) The same cannot be said of the chemicals used to combat them: According to the Center for Disease Control, 64 New Yorkers have gotten sick as a result of overusing or misusing products intended to prevent or kill bedbugs. Of course, we're not advocating surrender — never! — but be sure to read the directions on that can of pesticide, lest we allow the vermin to use our own weapons against us. [NYT]
- 1. 20 Things Worth Knowing About Toronto’s Crack-Smoking Mayor, Rob Ford
- 2. Netflix Adultery Afflicts Half of Relationships, Says Netflix
- 3. In Touch’s ‘Kanye Is Gay’ Story Is Awful
- 4. Could Harvey Weinstein Make History With Three Black Best Actor Oscar Candidates?
- 5. Gay Man Fatally Shot in Greenwich Village in Alleged Hate Crime
- 6. Kim Kardashian’s Tortured, Swollen Feet: A Lament
- 7. Take Vulture’s Arrested Development Superfan Quiz
- 8. Cannes Day 3: Marion Cotillard, Eva Longoria, and an Extraordinary Dress Made of Biscuit Trays
- 9. Beyoncé Really Is Pregnant, Says E!